Saturday, January 19, 2013

Finding the Beauty in the Broken

You can see a larger version here.

There's a saying about watching a train wreak. Is it because we can't help but watch destruction, tragedy or suffering? I believe we watch to see the human element that could be us. We wonder when our lives will be broken. When shooting pictures, I think there is something that draws me to broken items. I wonder what they looked like brand new; what kind of joy or promise surrounding it. You see broken stairs and wonder who ran up them in day gone by, or a once busy factory now silent.  These doors were on the side of a restaurant banquet hall that had been closed for years. This hall hosted weddings, baptisms, and a variety of merry occasions in its day. I wondered who made grand entrances through these doors. How old are they? What did the halls inside look like to influence the door colors? What drew me to them visually was the arrangement and the color. This photo is an HDR merging of three different pictures. I love how HDR allows me to capture the textures that portray the mood of now abandoned and broken items. 
This picture is available for purchase here.

No comments:

Post a Comment